Friday 18 May 2012

Moist Carrot Cake



I had been searching for the perfect carrot cake recipe for a while and I thought it cannot possible be this hard to find a good simple carrot cake recipe, but let me assure you it was. When I was in junior school the school made a cookbook of ever students family favourite recipe and in the nostalgic and reminiscing trance I was in one day, I decided to open it up and take a look at all the pictures of the students from my childhood and what their favourite food was. That is when I came across this awesomely delectable carrot cake recipe.


It is the perfect combination of every single ingredient. The carrots are not over powering and mixed with cinnamon, vanilla and cream cheese icing it is scrumptious. I could literally sit with this cake in front of me and polish off the whole thing (worst part is I wouldn’t even feel guilty for doing it)!

It is now definitely one of my family’s favourite cake recipes and that perfect cake for a rainy winter day, where all you want to do is sit down in fornt of a fire place with a book in hand and eat a good piece of cake, as cliché as it sounds, it’s true. I have nothing left to say because this cake speaks for itself- it looks gorgeous, tastes beautiful and screams eat me!


For the Cake

3 large eggs
1 cup white sugar
¾ cup oil
11/3 cup plain flour
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups carrot, grated
½ cup chopped walnuts
I teaspoon vanilla





For the Icing

125g cream cheese
250g icing sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
Extra walnuts for top (optional)


Preheat the oven to 150 degrees Celsius. Grease and line a 20cm round cake tin. Place the eggs and sugar in a bowl and mix until tripled in size. Add the oil. Sift over the flour, salt, cinnamon and baking powder and mix to combine. Fold in the carrot, nuts and vanilla. Pour the mixture into the cake tin and bake for 1 hour or until cooked through when tested with a skewer. Cool. To make the icing, mix the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer, until light and fluffy. Spread the icing over the cake and roast some extra walnuts if desired and sprinkle over the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment