Sunday 23 June 2013

Winter Inspired Pavlova


Oh yes!! Whilst writing this I couldn’t help but give myself a second helping to this pavlova – I thought - why feel guilty when it’s got fruit! I know my justification may be logically wrong but aesthetically this pavlova gives me a greater marginal benefit than any non-fat, half-assed sweet could ….


I know it’s not exactly the season for pavlova but then again it was a stunning winter’s day and every time I walked into my pantry my nostrils were infiltrated with the sweetness of new season passionfruits; so in my eyes it was more than the season, it was the perfect time to make pavlova.

Because strawberries are ridiculously expensive at this time of year I decided upon a more acidic and citrus feel – orange, passionfruit and raspberries. This three fruits marriage so beautifully together and the gorgeous colour of their intermingled juice left me wanting to drink it from the bowl – however my Victorian manners stopped me and allowed me to use my imagination which led me to make a martini out of the juice (a far more sophisticated and self-indulgent option)!

Ingredients

4 egg whites, at room temperature
225 grams caster sugar
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon corn flour
500ml thickened (full fat) cream
1½ teaspoons of vanilla essence
1 orange, peeled
4 passionfruits, pulped (place the pulp (with the seeds) in a medium bowl)
100 grams of frozen raspberries
1 tablespoon of chopped pistachios
3 tablespoons of roasted flaked almonds


Method


Pre-heat oven to 160 degrees Celsius fan-forced or 180 degrees Celsius on conventional. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a bowl of an electric mixer beat the egg whites until fluffy and stiff peaks begin to form. Add the sugar one tablespoon at a time. Continue to beat after all the sugar has been added for 3-4 minutes. Add the vinegar and corn flour and beat. Be sure to beat until glossy. Spread the egg white mixture on the parchment paper to a 20cm circle. Don’t flatten out too much and be sure to spread gently. Reduce oven temperature to 120 degrees Celsius (fan-forced) or 140 degrees Celsius (conventional). Bake for 1 and a half hours. Once baked turn the oven off and allow to cool in the oven.

 


Slice the orange into thin slithers. Add the orange and the raspberries to the bowl with the passionfruit and stir. Allow the fruits to mingle in each other’s juices for 30 minutes. Beat the cream and vanilla until soft peaks form. Gently spread the cream over the meringue. Place the fruit on top however don’t use all the juice (otherwise the meringue will become soggy). Sprinkle the nuts on top. Allow the pavlova to rest in the fridge for half an hour (or until ready to serve). Bon appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment